Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Erin's Surgery

Today is exactly 6 weeks since my surgery and my first day back at work (part-time). Next week is back to business-as-usual. We have been flooded with prayers, gifts, support, food, flowers, and help. It has been needed and wonderful.

I received the most beautiful flower arrangements from Breah Brown, Lindsey Coffman, Christy Rome, HPPC Deacons, Sky Ranch, HPPC Student Ministry, Sharon Tehrani (plus truffles and cookies along with the flowers!), Jun and Sarah Kong, Katia and Russell Jonas, and Blankenship Change Consulting.

Breah set up a meal train for us and we have had the most generous meals delivered every day by our amazing community. AND, my sister Courtney came in town from Hawaii for about 5 days to help take care of me in the hospital and see our family. CJ made an immediate difference by getting me a mattress topper for the super uncomfortable hospital bed and making sure my pain meds were right. She was a huge encouragement and help.

Here are Grant's sweet updates to Team McKesson:

  • 8/31/22 6:17 PM, Erin's Update 1 to McKesson Team, "Hi McKesson Friends, The care package of soup arrived today, as well as the generous gift card—THANK YOU! Erin’s surgery yesterday went OK, but not entirely perfect. After the initial 6hr procedure ended around 6pm and Erin was woken up in the recovery unit, the plastic surgeon came to check on her and observed some circulation issues with the reconstruction area that gave him concern. So, he took Erin back into the OR for a second operation that ended a little before midnight. She woke up this morning and had a small breakfast and coffee. Then the physical therapist came to help her get out of bed and sitting upright. Everything seemed to be going well at that point. However, after a few hours out of bed, the same circulation issues arose that gave concern last night and the plastic surgeon decided to keep her on bed rest. His hope is that by giving her another 24 hours or so of laying still and flat, Erin’s body will be able to heal and strengthen the new circulatory connections on its own without the need for another surgical intervention.  I’ll provide further update as we learn more from Erin’s medical team."
  • 9/2/22 5:51 PM, Erin's Update 2 to McKesson Team, "Erin is still in the hospital.  Her recovery is going slower than we had expected but she is improving a little more each day. She said all of you would be proud that she has not turned on her cell phone since she went into surgery on Tuesday! I'll let you know once she's discharged and resting at home."
  • Monday, September 5, 2022 6:31 PM, Erin's Update 3 to McKesson Team, "Good news! After her medical team did their morning examination and assessment, they decided Erin had shown sufficient improvement and they authorized her for discharge late Sunday. Although there is still a long recovery period ahead (plus another reconstructive surgery that will most likely occur in December), for now she is glad to be resting in a real bed without hourly interruptions from nurses, med techs, doctors, etc.! For the next week or so, she plans to stay at her parents’ house (which is on the same block and right across the alley from our house) to have a bit more peace and quiet. Of course, the kids and I will be walking over to visit with her often and for family dinners!"
The surgery was Tuesday, Aug. 30. I came home from the hospital on Sunday, Sept. 4. I stayed at my parents house until Sunday, Sept. 18. They took such good care of me and it allowed me to rest undistributed. I also didn't want to make the kids anxious seeing me in pain. I slept most of the day for about 3 days after getting home from the hospital and my parents were incredible to me. I had my first big outing on Friday, Sept. 23 when Nina, Colton and I went to see Beauty and the Beast at the high school. Colton had really wanted to see it and DD dropped us off at the front door and picked us up to make it easy. I enjoyed the evening, but was definitely tired. I go back to work part-time today and full time starting next week beginning Mon., Oct. 17th. 

I felt ready for the surgery after an evening at CRC with just Grant and I, a scrub at King Spa with Billi, and some logistics prep with DD and Nina. That being said, the process has been more of a roller coaster than I anticipated. I am still glad I did it and feel grateful that I don't have to fear breast cancer. But I am not yet at 100% and an anxious to get the Dec. 15 surgery (outpatient) done with and truly have this behind me.







No comments: