Sunday, April 13, 2025

I love you KC

By Cadie, "Mom and I went to Kansas to go see Grandma Margaret and Aunt Kathy one last time before the official moved to Idaho. We got to say goodbye to a lot of familiar places and see some extended family members like Jim and Denise. Visiting Aunt Kathy’s house one last time was bittersweet. I have so many wonderful memories of spending time with beloved family members there, and I will be sad not to be back. This move is a good thing though because it allows Grandma to have adventure and Aunt Kathy to not have to travel as much. I even spent both evenings we were at Aunt Kathy‘s house reading in the secret room she built for me when I was little. Grandma generously allowed me to take an heirloom pot home with me so that it’ll be safe because if I had to wait to retrieve it from Idaho, that would be a much riskier journey for such an old piece of family history. Another highlight of the trip was that I got to practice highway driving which allowed me to finally get my drivers license! Overall, my mom and I had a fabulous trip and we were glad to visit Kansas one last time. We even played one last game of foosball in Aunt Kathy‘s basement before leaving!"

Cadie and I spent 3 days of Spring Break roadtripping to KC. Cadie and I had a great time together and she drove for 3 hours on the way there and 4 hours on the way back which made a huge difference. We decided last minute to make the trip to see Grandma before she moves to Boise and to stay with Aunt Kathy one last time before she permanently moves out of her KC house to Boise. It was a wonderful trip, but emotional as well. I loved getting to see Jim, Denise, Aunt Kathy, Grandma, and Amy Webster! Once I got back to Dallas to the farm, I cried much of Wednesday evening because it was such a strange feeling to have all my firm ties to Kansas cut. I didn't predict it. I may go back for high school reunions or maybe a family event, but the firm ties that pulled me back there are gone. I loved growing up in KC and it feels like a part of who I am. I am so grateful for the quick trip and for a daughter that loves KC too.









No comments: