Friday, July 11, 2025

Sanborn Big Spring - Torrey's 1

For the first time this summer, I went to Sanborn Western Camps in Colorado. I went with Ben and Steve Bratton because they have been going for 6 years. The flight there and just getting to the camp was super easy and smooth. Once I was there, the first few days were pretty slow, because we didn't have any trips yet, just activities. I got my schedule around day 4 and the first thing I had was the MTB all day. It was really fun and we just road mountain biking trails on the camp's property. That was all we had the first week other than just typical summer camp things. Week 2 of camp was almost completely taken up by S.O.L.E. which is the Sanborn Outdoor Leadership Experience. This was a 5 day co-ed backpacking trip. Our group had 5 girl and 5 guys. We started the trip with 3 days of trail work on Mount Massive which is the largest mountain in Colorado. We fixed about 400 yards of social trails and braids. The last two days we just did hiking on the Wheeler Trail. Week 3 of camp had a lot going on. On Monday ad Tuesday we were attempting to summit Mount Ouray. Two kids got sick though so we ended up turning back and not getting to summit. On Wednesday I did the Spring Tank Bomber which is a 28 mile walk through Sanborn's 6,000 acre property. On Thursday and Friday I had the MTB 2 day scheduled, but I got super sick for about 3 days so I ended up missing it. Week 4 was all about long trips. I did Tarryalls which was 26 miles total over 4 days. We had 7 kids and 5 counselors and it was really fun. It was all just hiking though and we didn't summit anything. My counselor's names were Carter Edwards and Jack Rissman and they were both really good.





















No comments: