Saturday, December 19, 2009

Parent Peaves

Does every parent have a few things they just can't help but feel judgemental about? Maybe judgemental is too harsh, maybe just things that we see other parents doing that cause us to internally say "I would never do that!" I am sure there are a few things I do that are like nails on a chalkboard for some of my parenting friends. A few potentials pop to mind:

1 - Sugar - should I really be letting my 14 month old eat sugar cookies and other treats? (see previous "Christmas Cookies" post in which Cadence can be seen eating M&Ms and also with icing smeared all over her face). Maybe it should bother me, but it really doesn't. She generally eats very healthy foods and a little sugar sweetens life!
2 - Clothing optional - Cadie runs around naked all the time- hanging out in her birthday suit during the evening, swimming with her nudie bootie, etc. I am frankly jealous, but maybe someday I will feel differently when I pick her up from a birthday party and the parent pulls me aside to explain that I should probably talk to my daughter about keeping her clothes on as it seems she decided that "pin the tail on the donkey" would be more fun in just her panties. But for now I am 100% on-board with a little clothes-free time.
3 - Germs - is it really safe for Cadence to eat the fallen Cheerios off the floor? Now that I am thinking about it, that is probably the best case scenario in our house. I once saw Cadence swallow an acorn in our front yard that she dug up from the dirt, and I think she once found a snack in the backpocket of an airplane seat. The actually is kinda gross, but the bottom line is that she is incredible healthy and I try not to get too crazy about watching her every second so that she doesn't put something germy in her mouth.

I can think of at least 3 more things that I am positive have caused my super-mom friends to cringe, but anyway, you get the picture. Right or wrong, there are just some things that trigger my "What are you thinking?" reflect. I realize that every family, parent, and child is unique and I have no right to judge, and I try to quickly correct myself. But I can't pretend it doesn't happen. A few things on my personal list include toddlers with pacifiers in public, infants and newborns watching TV, taking babies to movies, and over-the-top babyproofing. I guess we all just have to remember to be gracious to each other and realize that no parent is perfect and neither are we!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Well said --there are so many better things to care about. You and I should get together with our naked children and host a tea party, complete with cookies that are eaten off the floor!