Friday, October 27, 2017

Getting Easier

It started over the summer and has steadily continued during the fall. Life has gotten easier, specifically, the kids. I noticed it one hot summer day when we were at the UP Pool. The kids were all playing happily and I was sitting on the side in a chair watching them - AND I NEVER GOT IN THE POOL!!!  First time ever in over 8 years that I had been to the pool with the kids and not had to get in the water. I was still vigilantly watching them, but I was able to relax (just a tiny bit, but still...). Then, one Saturday I woke up at 9am because NO ONE HAD WOKEN ME UP!!!  What the what! The first time in years that I have been with the kids ever and no one woke me up to change a diaper, get a bottle, get a granola bar, turn on cartoons, ask to get in our bed... It was amazing. The kids had gotten themselves some cereal - Cadie had helped Colton. And they were happily watching cartoons in the living room. Then, on a flight recently they were all reading, coloring, or watching the Southwest Airlines TV and NO ONE WAS NEEDING ME. I had never in million years expected it since the last decade of travel has mostly involved constant snacks, books, songs, stickers, I-Spy games, digging in the backpack for water bottles, or ferrying them to and from the bathroom. I didn't even have a book or anything. I sat quietly for awhile, thinking about the incredible possibilities of not being needed 110% of the time. Then I read a bit of back-of-the-seat magazine. These awesome little people get themselves dressed (mostly), read to each other, open the doors for me when my hands are full, and play together for hours. So far, I am really liking where this stage is heading.

Walking together to church.


Colton didn't love soccer, but he sure is adorable.

1 comment:

Bethany Chapman said...

Cadie's shirt is adorable! She looks like a little lady.