Grandma Jack was tired and a bit incoherent when we visited her on Wednesday afternoon. I was never 100% sure if she knew me. I washed her hands, filed her nails and loved on her. CJ and I took her clothes to wash at Aunt Kathy's house.
On Thursday morning CJ fixed us little quiches and after breakfast we packed up some food to take to Grandma's. Grandma had a busy morning, but she was dressed, alert and ready for our visit. She was a somewhat uncomfortable, but she was calm and talked with Cadie about school and asked about her brothers. Cadie drew Grandma a number of pictures and we borrowed some tape from the nurses station and taped them up around Grandma's room.
After about an hour, Grandma was really very poorly. She had begun to throw up and she was very tired. We said our good-byes and both Cadie and I hugged and kissed her. As we were walking out the door Grandma called to us and asked us to give Grant, Jack Ranger and Colton Alexander her love.
I started crying as we walked out of her room because I knew that would be the last time I saw her. I was crying pretty good and so Cadie and I went into the bathroom. Cadie said, "I know why you are crying Mom, but it is only good-bye for now." Of course, that made me start crying even harder.
Grandma died exactly one week later. I was in Argentina this past Thursday and I had a feeling that I needed to call my Mom. I called and after a few minutes my Mom decided it was ok to tell me that Grandma had passed away around 9am that morning. My Mom had been worried about giving me the news when I was by myself and far away, but I was grateful to know and I had already said my good-bye. We prayed on the phone together and we both cried.
I am beyond thankful that God spoke in his still, small voice and prompted me to visit Kansas City. Grandma's services are this coming Saturday and while they will be hard, I told Grandma one last time how much I loved her and how much she meant to me and that will make all the difference.
I love you Grandma Jack. I miss you already.
No comments:
Post a Comment