Saturday, June 22, 2024

Ranger HPPC Mission Trip to Kansas City

Written by Jack Ranger Walsh:

The KC Mission Trip started with an 8-hour bus drive to Kansas. We stayed in a small building owned by a nearby church. The place had 2 showers (one boy and one girl) and no air conditioning for the week. On Monday, we woke up and went to a non-profit organization's property. It was called Kansas City Dream Center. We did multiple things there such as painting, helping build a garden, and weeding. After we finished there, we headed to a warehouse full of donated clothes where we sorted clothes by size. The last thing we did the first day was canvassing. We went door to door giving out fliers for the VBS we were hosting at a park close by. On Tuesday we went to a recreational center with a gym and a diner. We helped clean and organize things there for a few hours. After, we split into two groups. Some people went back to the warehouse and continued sorting clothes while the other group went to the park for the VBS. Unfortunately, nobody came so we cut it and hour short and headed back to the place we were staying early. On Wednesday, we all did a really big scavenger hunt around downtown. We got pieces for a map and had to put them together. Different places were worth more or less points and we had to get a picture with as many as we could. My group won because Garner Godfrey and I split up from our group with permission and ran to a place that was worth 400 points (We won by 200). On Thursday we spent the entire day working at an old folk's home. We helped with many things such as weeding in the courtyard, decorating for the Fourth of July, making praise and worship lyric books, and more. On Friday we went to the Zoo for the whole day. My group at the zoo was Garner, Reiter, Brock, Drake, and I. This was the group of people I hung out with the most throughout the week. On the trip I got to know the two summer interns a lot better, Will and Chelsea. I was sharing a room with Drake Kelley and Garner Godfrey. Brock Marsh also broke my cot on Thursday, so I had to sleep on the ground for a few nights. Overall, I enjoyed the trip and would definitely do something like it again.








No comments: